My Story
I don't know if this will help anyone, but, Judy, I told you I would write this, so here it is.
After topping out at my heaviest, I knew I had to do something, but it had to fit in with my schedule and be easy enough for me to stick with. Keith, my husband, and I were in a bookstore just browsing. He was in one section while I was in another. He came over after a little while with a book in his hands. He said, "Honey, this may be the answer for you." It was Leslie Sansone's book, Walk Away the Pounds, with a sample video inserted. He asked, "Would you like me to buy it for you?" I am thinking, "I won't be able to do this. It's probably too hard." I will shorten this part of my story by saying, he went ahead and bought it for me, just in case I decided to pick it up and read it (he is a sweetheart). I did start reading the book and about halfway through, I pulled out the video and decided to see what it would really be like. I watched it through - a one miler.
The following day, January 18, 2005, I began my weight loss journey. I laced up my walking shoes and started walking. I could barely do half of a mile. By the second week, that mile got easier. I added another 1/2 mile. Then another. Then another. I now do 4 miles Monday - Friday, with a 5 mile walk on Saturday. Sunday is my day of rest spiritually and physically.
I knew that I had to start out slowly and take it one step at a time, or else I would get frustrated and quit. So during 2005, I only concentrated on exercise. Getting up and getting moving! I was surprised that without changing any eating habits, I had lost 30 lbs. by October of that year. I decided to cut out something that seemed would be easier to cut out than anything else, so I cut out sodas. I haven't had a Coke since November '05. Do not miss them either! Water has become my all time favorite!!! By the way, Wal Mart has a jug called the "Bubba Keg." It has been my faithful friend for the last two years. "Bubba" gets filled with ice and water every morning and refilled throughout the day. It is insulated with some kind of fat that keeps your water cold for up to 12 hours (it holds 52 ounces). This is very important during a Texas summer! I have left it in the car during 90-100 degree heat and come back to the car to find that "Bubba" was still cold and had ice in it. I don't leave home without it!!! If y'all have a Wal Mart, check it out (p.s. they need to pay me for the free advertisement since I have sold others on them also).
Beginning in 2006, I thought I had a decent handle on the exercise. I was up to 3 miles, 6 days a week. So I began by counting calories and watching my fat intake. I started dropping weight a little quicker. I hit a plateau in September '06, thought I was doing something wrong, so I started up with Weight Watchers. It wasn't my eating like I thought, just my body trying to adjust to where I was and hadn't been in years. As of today, I have lost a little over 71 lbs. and 45 inches!!! I don't have a lot of "before" pictures, because after seeing how I really looked, I would tear them up or hide behind others while photos were being taken. Anyone else been there?
What keeps me going? Leslie has an upbeat personality for one. If she was not very enthusiastic about what she does, I don't think I would have kept up the exercise for this long. I haven't missed a day since May of 2005, and now have around 20-25 videos. Hey, I need something to keep things changed up! She uses different people in different videos, so I can see different people everyday. I keep a calendar in our laundry room, and give myself a sticker everyday that I complete my exercises. It sounds childish I know, but you have to find what works for you. I am a goal oriented person, so I guess seeing those happy face stickers on my calendar help. My family, Keith, Mallory, and Taylor (my two precious daughters) , have been a constant source of encouragement. They are incredible!!! And last, but certainly not the least, God has been my constant. He's the one that has given me the physical ability to move, and now it is my duty to keep HIS temple clean and in good health (to the best of my ability). Keith has been urging me to write a book on health and fitness for PPH, but I worry that too many Apostolics don't care anymore. It is getting to where it really disturbs me, when at Campmeetings and such, I see that God's people have let themselves go so much that they cannot hardly move around. How can we win the lost? Do they want to become like us - overweight and hardly moving?! God help us! I better stop before I begin preaching. Speaking is not my area of expertise. Let me add that I understand that some have physical problems that have allowed them to gain, but most of it is overeating and idleness.
I will end with, "No, I haven't finished losing all that I want to yet." I realize that it didn't come on over just a short period of time, and it will not come off overnight either. I cannot turn back. I have no more big clothes in my closet. I sold some in a garage sale. Keith took the rest of them to Goodwill. I guess he got tired of them being baggy and then watching me pin them up. My shoes are also getting too big. A medium is too wide, while a narrow is too, well, narrow. LOL. I am now 5-6 sizes down. I can't quit. There are some that are in our church that are following and watching me. No turning around! Ladies, we have to set an example of health and fitness!
Accomplishments:
1. A little over 71 lbs. and 45 inches lost.
2. 7 pairs of walking shoes in 3 years (at least I got to shop for them).
3. Lowered blood pressure. It went from 120/70 to 100/60. I was told that is the blood pressure of a trained athlete. LOL!
4. No depression, and walking is a great way to get rid of stress!
5. Feeling my youngest daughter's arms (she's petite) around my waist and hearing her say, "They overlap now, Mom!"
Tips for walking:
1. Make sure your clothes are comfortable.
2. Shoes - VERY IMPORTANT!!! Note: Shoes are only supposed to go for about 500 miles. Listen to your feet, they will tell you when it's time to change. Do not try to go cheap, either. Your feet will pay for it.
3. Socks. Not many think about socks being important, but they are. They need to be fitted to your feet. It will help if they have an arch support, and are made of a material that will help absorb sweat.
Keep it up! You CAN make it!!!
After topping out at my heaviest, I knew I had to do something, but it had to fit in with my schedule and be easy enough for me to stick with. Keith, my husband, and I were in a bookstore just browsing. He was in one section while I was in another. He came over after a little while with a book in his hands. He said, "Honey, this may be the answer for you." It was Leslie Sansone's book, Walk Away the Pounds, with a sample video inserted. He asked, "Would you like me to buy it for you?" I am thinking, "I won't be able to do this. It's probably too hard." I will shorten this part of my story by saying, he went ahead and bought it for me, just in case I decided to pick it up and read it (he is a sweetheart). I did start reading the book and about halfway through, I pulled out the video and decided to see what it would really be like. I watched it through - a one miler.
The following day, January 18, 2005, I began my weight loss journey. I laced up my walking shoes and started walking. I could barely do half of a mile. By the second week, that mile got easier. I added another 1/2 mile. Then another. Then another. I now do 4 miles Monday - Friday, with a 5 mile walk on Saturday. Sunday is my day of rest spiritually and physically.
I knew that I had to start out slowly and take it one step at a time, or else I would get frustrated and quit. So during 2005, I only concentrated on exercise. Getting up and getting moving! I was surprised that without changing any eating habits, I had lost 30 lbs. by October of that year. I decided to cut out something that seemed would be easier to cut out than anything else, so I cut out sodas. I haven't had a Coke since November '05. Do not miss them either! Water has become my all time favorite!!! By the way, Wal Mart has a jug called the "Bubba Keg." It has been my faithful friend for the last two years. "Bubba" gets filled with ice and water every morning and refilled throughout the day. It is insulated with some kind of fat that keeps your water cold for up to 12 hours (it holds 52 ounces). This is very important during a Texas summer! I have left it in the car during 90-100 degree heat and come back to the car to find that "Bubba" was still cold and had ice in it. I don't leave home without it!!! If y'all have a Wal Mart, check it out (p.s. they need to pay me for the free advertisement since I have sold others on them also).
Beginning in 2006, I thought I had a decent handle on the exercise. I was up to 3 miles, 6 days a week. So I began by counting calories and watching my fat intake. I started dropping weight a little quicker. I hit a plateau in September '06, thought I was doing something wrong, so I started up with Weight Watchers. It wasn't my eating like I thought, just my body trying to adjust to where I was and hadn't been in years. As of today, I have lost a little over 71 lbs. and 45 inches!!! I don't have a lot of "before" pictures, because after seeing how I really looked, I would tear them up or hide behind others while photos were being taken. Anyone else been there?
What keeps me going? Leslie has an upbeat personality for one. If she was not very enthusiastic about what she does, I don't think I would have kept up the exercise for this long. I haven't missed a day since May of 2005, and now have around 20-25 videos. Hey, I need something to keep things changed up! She uses different people in different videos, so I can see different people everyday. I keep a calendar in our laundry room, and give myself a sticker everyday that I complete my exercises. It sounds childish I know, but you have to find what works for you. I am a goal oriented person, so I guess seeing those happy face stickers on my calendar help. My family, Keith, Mallory, and Taylor (my two precious daughters) , have been a constant source of encouragement. They are incredible!!! And last, but certainly not the least, God has been my constant. He's the one that has given me the physical ability to move, and now it is my duty to keep HIS temple clean and in good health (to the best of my ability). Keith has been urging me to write a book on health and fitness for PPH, but I worry that too many Apostolics don't care anymore. It is getting to where it really disturbs me, when at Campmeetings and such, I see that God's people have let themselves go so much that they cannot hardly move around. How can we win the lost? Do they want to become like us - overweight and hardly moving?! God help us! I better stop before I begin preaching. Speaking is not my area of expertise. Let me add that I understand that some have physical problems that have allowed them to gain, but most of it is overeating and idleness.
I will end with, "No, I haven't finished losing all that I want to yet." I realize that it didn't come on over just a short period of time, and it will not come off overnight either. I cannot turn back. I have no more big clothes in my closet. I sold some in a garage sale. Keith took the rest of them to Goodwill. I guess he got tired of them being baggy and then watching me pin them up. My shoes are also getting too big. A medium is too wide, while a narrow is too, well, narrow. LOL. I am now 5-6 sizes down. I can't quit. There are some that are in our church that are following and watching me. No turning around! Ladies, we have to set an example of health and fitness!
Accomplishments:
1. A little over 71 lbs. and 45 inches lost.
2. 7 pairs of walking shoes in 3 years (at least I got to shop for them).
3. Lowered blood pressure. It went from 120/70 to 100/60. I was told that is the blood pressure of a trained athlete. LOL!
4. No depression, and walking is a great way to get rid of stress!
5. Feeling my youngest daughter's arms (she's petite) around my waist and hearing her say, "They overlap now, Mom!"
Tips for walking:
1. Make sure your clothes are comfortable.
2. Shoes - VERY IMPORTANT!!! Note: Shoes are only supposed to go for about 500 miles. Listen to your feet, they will tell you when it's time to change. Do not try to go cheap, either. Your feet will pay for it.
3. Socks. Not many think about socks being important, but they are. They need to be fitted to your feet. It will help if they have an arch support, and are made of a material that will help absorb sweat.
Keep it up! You CAN make it!!!
12 Comments:
WOW .. Awesome story and I can tell you and Sis King are from the same family. Fitness is the goal and once you set your goal, you are disciplined to stick to it.
Thanks for sharing. I am amazed at how out of shape I have become but will like you, just continue at it. We purchased an elliptical trainer. I could only do 2 minutes when we first got it but am now up to 10. I have tried and can do 3 miles but no way can I continue to 4 yet.
Thanks for reminding me that it has taken time to get this unfit and will take time to get fit again.
Looking forward to more notes and posts from everyone.
Thanks all for the support
I say "Wow" too! Carla that was awesome!
I know it will be such an encouragement to those who are starting out and can't do the same exercise others can. That feel they have so far to go!
You started with 1/2 mile and now do 5!! That's amazing!
AND 71 lbs and 45 inches!
And I love that your goal now is to stay fit. You want to be healthy not JUST slim...which is coming!!!!!!!!
I have seen you on this journey and my hat goes off to you! No quick fix...just common sense and dedication!
Maybe some day you can come to Canada and walk the walk with us Canucks!
Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!
Shannon, stick with it! Yes, your pastor's wife and I are from the same family - the slight stubbornness does come in handy at times, but it is God that ultimately gives me the strength to continue. Take your weight problem to Him just like you do everything else. He will help you!
Judy, I would absolutely LOVE to come walk with Y'ALL! Just had to throw a little "Texan" in there for you. lol.
Way to go Carla! That was awesome! No wonder you are an inspiration to many!
Wow has been said. so.... Incredible, amazing, tremendous and even just simply great! What a kudo to just "doin it"! Day in, day out, you kept at it and now look at you! No magic pills, or super duper marvellous shakes or potions. Just doin it! Thank you for the wonderful inspiration! I, like Shannon, am starting out unfit after being realatively fit (she is less unfit than I) and it is nasty to start all over again and think of where I could have been had I just done it, day in day out, like you. Keep it up! And thank you so much for sharing!
Mrs. Wizzle, no, there is no magic pill. I have had people ask me how I am losing, and then when I begin to tell them, they shut me out. I have figured out that they are just wanting a quick fix, which won't happen. It has to be a change that starts from the inside out. Don't stop!!!
Wow.. that story is definately an inspiration to me, mostly because it's a success story that is close to home.. our own Sis. King's sister! For me.. weight will always be a struggle. But I'm constantly going on jogging spritz to get my weight down. I've been doing amazing since the begginning of the year and have lost only 3 pounds, but 1.5 inches off of each thigh! I know that I'm gaining muscle and muscle weighs more than fat. Thanks for your story.
Jessie....she is my cousin. But I would take her for a sister!!! Our mothers are sisters. Holley Girls!!
A very close cousin! I am so proud of her!
Judy, I was just fixing to get on here and reply that I would choose you for a sister if I had a choice! Great minds...
Jessie, there are times that I haven't lost any lbs., but I have lost inches. I really don't care if it's lbs. or inches, just as long as I lose! I will also fight weight the rest of my life. Your pastor's wife and I come from a family of what I call "chunky dunks." I am determined with God's help to break the cycle!
My apologies.. I stand corrected.. cousins.. but you can definately tell you are from the same family.
Hope you are feeling better Sis. King. I'm praying for you. Love you!
I'm not a part of this program or blog, but I come by every once and a while to get some good healthy advice. This is a great success story!! Motivated me :o)
Rachel
Carla,
Your story is awesome! What an inspiration to us all. I know you are a very dedicated and disciplined lady. You look great and you yourself said you feel better than ever.
You go girl!!!!!!!!!
Karen
Post a Comment
<< Home