We B Fit

A blog site created for inspiration, tips, and general information for becoming a more fit you!

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Just a Few Good Women

There were 5 of us who attended We B Fit this morning. We braved the bitter cold, undaunted by the sickness that abounds around us. We walked up hill both ways and forged our way through snow to our hips. No snow monsters could stop US! No wind would defeat US! No computers could conquer US! We.... Are the tough ones!

How's that, eh? (For Carla that is pronounced "A" or"ay", it is the Canadian version of huh)

I thought you would be impressed! We had a good meeting. We talked about the importance of water and then did the walking. Janai walked with us, holding my hand, and did as good as I did although it was a challenge to do the side steps with her. She was a good excuse for not being completely coordinated with the rest of the group.

Water
What I learned about the importance of water ( I will give the sources/websites at the end of the blog)
  • 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated
  • 37% of Americans have a thirst mechanism that is mistaken for hunger
  • Even mild dehydration will slow down your metabolism by 3%
  • One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs
  • Lack of water is the #1 trigger for daytime fatigue
  • 8 - 10 glasses of water could significantly ease back and joint pain for 80% of sufferers
  • 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short term memory, trouble with basic math and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or printed page
  • Drinking 5 glasses of water per day can drecrease the risk of colon cancer by 45%, breast cancer by 79% and you will be 50% less likely to get bladder cancer
  • Water regulates your body temperature and helps the liver break down and release more fat
  • Enough water causes fluid retention to decrease and gland and hormone functions to improve
  • Water carries every nutrient, mineral, vitamin, protein, hormone and chemical messenger in your body to its destination.
  • Proteins and enzymes, the basis for your body's healing capacity, function efficiently only when you have enough water.
  • Your daily energy depends on water because your body's chemical reactions are water dependent.
  • Your brain is 85% water. Messages from your brain to everywhere else in your body are transported on "waterways".
  • Water lubricates and flushes wastes and toxins from all cells.
  • Water cleanses the internal organs.
  • Water helps eliminate toxins from the bloodstream.
  • Water prevents and cures heartburn.
  • Water prevents and cures arthritis.
  • Water prevents and cures back pain.
  • Water prevents and cures angina.
  • Water prevents and cures migraines.
  • Water prevents and cures colitis
  • Water and salt prevent and cure asthma.
  • Water prevents and cures high blood pressure.
  • Water prevents and cures early adult-onset diabetes.
  • Water lowers blood cholesterol.
  • Water cures depression, loss of libido, chronic fatigue syndrome, lupus, multiple sclerosis, muscular dystrophy.
  • Water helps to prevent and cure constipation.
  • Water helps hangovers

How much water. The information differs according to what web site you look at. Anywhere from 6-8 glasses of water a day to taking your weight and dividing it in half and drinking that amount in ounces of water. The bigger you are the more you need to drink. Then if you are exercising you need to drink more on top of that. You can then decide on the type of water that you drink as well.

I am a little bit leery of all the cures they attribute to water but I do know water is really important to good over all body function. I have been completely dehydrated on a hot day and actually thought I was having a heart attack. I had a headache, pains in my chest and arms and thought I was going to puke. I was pale in the face, quiet and not able to think clearly. I was going over the signs of a heart attack in my mind and came to the sweating part and ding dong. I thought " there is no sweat at all, none, not a drop and it was a really, really hot day where normally I would be sweating buckets" I had bought drinks for other people several times that day and had nothing myself cause I just didn't feel like it and I finally clued in that I was dehydrated totally. I began to sip water slowly and once I had enough in my system I felt fine. Scary stuff.

So people............. Bottom line............ Drink your water!

Sources

email from Lisa Goode

www.healthyhealing.com/water.html

www.healingdaily.com/detoxification-diet/water-for-detoxification.htm

www.jellybabys.co.uk/blog/health/the-importance-of-water/

www.organicnutrition.co.uk/water.htm

5 Comments:

Blogger Judy King said...

That's heavy stuff!!! I believe water is so important!! Thanks Sherri for reminding me....made me want to put a hose on the tap and guzzle!!! LOL!

However now I know why I am fuzzy headed...."2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short term memory, trouble with basic math and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or printed page"

I have an excuse!!!!

All joking aside.....DRINK YOUR WATER!!!

12:52 PM  
Blogger Keith and Carla said...

So glad to hear y'all ventured out even with snow! I will rub it in when I say that we had a gorgeous 70 degrees Saturday and today. I did my exercises and then went outside and mowed our yard (yes, in the middle of February!) which is another 3 - 4 miles!

2:07 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Wizzle said...

MOWED YOUR YARD! yikes! that is rubbing it in! We can't even SEE our yard and grass well that is severely brown under the white stuff. The trade off though is our summers do not get sooooo hot as yours do and I think I would take the winter and cooler summers than mowing my yard in February and sweltering through the summer. I would just be a puddle on the sidewalk. (Melted that is)

4:33 PM  
Blogger Keith and Carla said...

I would trade our winters and summers for yours also, but I will say that I am perfectly content knowing I am where God wants us for now. I do know that I would (along with our girls) love to be where it would snow and actually stay on the ground. In the future, who knows? I will say this is the first time that I have mowed a yard in the middle of February. No, it wasn't grass that I mowed, but these ugly weeds that had purple flowers coming out the top of them! We forgot to put down out grass fertilizer/weed killer before our "winter." Maybe we'll have to take our vacation during the middle of July/August to come to Canada and cool off?!

8:55 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Wizzle said...

Do it! We have lovely mountains and cool breezes at night even if it is "hot" in the day time. I use quotations cause I realize what we think is hot would probably be no where near Texas hot!

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home